On a painting trip to Amsterdam several of us walked along the canal near our hotel to paint this windmill.I blocked in the painting using red acrylic - the windmill was the center of interest
I used red paint to add to the shadow areas and then added more of the local color. Just as I was finishing, the wind picked up and blew a fellow painter's chair and painting into the canal. We stopped and went to lunch
I thought about working on the painting later but decided that this captured the mood of the day
These pretty pastel flowers caught my eye.
I blocked the subject in with red paint, then decided on the dark and light pattern and added some color.
This winter I amused myself with a series of small faces. I had clear view of Daisy as she worked in the next room while I painted. Her black and white outfit and intense look made for an interesting subject.
Working on a 7x5 Winsor Newton canvas board, I blocked in the gesture of the pose in red acrylic paint using a 1/4 inch brush. Then I added color and refined the pose. Daisy pointed out that the nose was much too sharp so I made an adjustment. It's still not a close likeness but that was never my intent.
These blue and yellow flowers caught my eye on a snowy day. I decided to do a watercolor sketch
I blocked in a quick sketch on 140 lb watercolor paper using a round brush. Then added color and began to add definition to the flowers
I decided to ignore the design on the vase, partly because it seemed to compete with the flowers and partly because the time for group was almost over..
These flowers are past their prime but I thought it would be fun to do a quick study.
I used a small canvas that had served as a palette, made a quick sketch in orange and blocked in the flowers.
I softened the background and added splashes of color in the flowers. Here's the completed sketch. See this painting in my Etsy shop: Art by Sks